Monday, January 24, 2011

Great Greek Dining: Petra

First of all, I wanted to apologize for my absence over the last few weeks... I just started school back up after the holidays, and work has been crazy-busy! 

Second, I wanted to announce that I was one of the winners of 3 boxes of Primal Strips vegan jerky from Primal Spirit Foods (http://www.primalspiritfoods.com/) in the contest I mentioned from an earlier post that I entered through the folks at Vegan Backpackers (http://veganbackpacker.com/). I'll post a review after I try 'em out!

Third, I want to mention my new favorite place to snag a delicious pita. Petra in downtown Sacramento is to-die for! Serving the best Greek food that I've ever had, this is a must for both meat eaters, as well as vegetarians and vegans! My favorite is the Vegi Souvlaki Pita with seasoned vegetables (the mushrooms were mouth-watering!) on scrumptious pita bread and filled with tomatoes, parsley, onions, and tzatziki sauce (or, as a friend pointed out, you can turn it vegan by replacing the sauce with hummus). Get this, they also put french fries in the pita! French fries! So good! Petra uses traditional family recipes, so you are getting a great taste of authentic Greek food at a great price.

They also have a tasty selection of appetizers: grilled haloumi, hummus, dips such as Tyrokafteri/Fiery Feta (this spicy feta cheese dip is next on my list to try!), etc.,  burgers (I know a few meat-eaters that would love the Grecian Burger: 1/3lb beef & pork, charbroiled with Kasseri cheese on a bun with tomato, lettuce, & onion), a la carte items such as Vegetable Souvlaki (seasoned fresh veggies skewered on a stick, charbroiled, and served with a pita), Spanakopita (Spinach pie with feta cheese & wrapped in phylo dough), lamb chops for your meat eating friends and family, a long list of plates (vegetarian/vegan options are on the menu as well), soups, salads, and much more! 

After a night out on the town, skip your usual Taco Bell and Jack in the Box! Petra is open until 3:00am Wednesday through Saturday!! Leave the bar a coupla minutes before last call to beat the crowd at Petra, as the line goes out the door! They also serve wine and draft beer :) Check out their website for more info! http://www.petragreek.com/

Petra: 1122 16th St., Sacramento 916.443.1993

To read another review of Petra, as well as a few other midtown vegan locations, check out the latest article in "Sac Midtown" by Danielle Carlson: http://www.sacmidtown.com/2011/01/2014/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment