Friday, June 3, 2011

Bottomless Vegan Brunch

My new favorite place to get brunch, lunch, dinner, and/or dessert is the Sugar Plum Cafe in Midtown (Sacramento). Boasting a completely vegan menu, Sugar Plum uses organic, mostly local produce and products which I love. I'm always in favor of supporting local farmers, businesses, etc. This quaint little cafe is tucked into an adorable Victorian house with lovely outdoor seating in the front yard. The laid back staff, cozily worn furniture, and interesting artwork throughout create an extremely relaxed environment that has one forgetting that they aren't casually hanging out at a friends house.

Every time I go into Sugar Plum, I agonize over the menu. Everything from the Portobello Street Tacos (served on fresh corn tortillas with shredded lettuce, pico de gallo, avocado, sour cream, and cilantro) to the delectable raspberry and mango cupcakes, look and sound mouth-wateringly delightful. I've personally tried the award winning tuna melt (trust me, get the fries on the side! Yum!!), the above mentioned cupcake, the bacon cheeseburger (which is my favorite so far), and just about everything offered in their all-you-can-eat brunch. Unfortunately, it doesn't start until 11:00am (contrary to the 10:00am time listed on their website). But believe me, the jalapeno cheddar biscuits and country gravy, breakfast potatoes, tofu frittata, cinnamon rolls, chocolate chip or blueberry pancakes (they like to change it up!), french toast, etc. are worth getting up a little late on a Saturday or Sunday morning! I will say this, they ran out of syrup and french toast last time I was there, and they did not mention it prior to my paying the $12. So check out the buffet-style brunch for your favorites before paying! The donuts and muffins (not offered in the brunch) are scrumptious as well if you want a snack while waiting for brunch to begin. You can view most of the menu online, but they are always featuring new goodies, so scour the menu of the day when you walk in as well (it's usually on the counter next to the register). 

Sugar Plum also offers a large selection of gluten and soy free foods, treats for those with allergies or currently on a raw diet, full service catering, wedding and party menus, and they sell their goodies at the local farmers market. They have a shop next door with clothing, accessories, etc., but it's been closed the last few times I've stopped by the cafe, so I can't give you much info on that end of the business. I truly love this little midtown gem, and even my meat and dairy eating friends enjoy the food! So stop by the Sugar Plum Cafe after work with friends for a casual dinner and dessert before walking across the street for a drink at The Golden Bear or drop by on a lazy weekend and start your day out with a filling, healthy, great tasting meal.


Sugar Plum Cafe, 2315 K Street, Sacramento, 916.706.3302
Hours: Closed Mon, Tue-Thu 10a-7p, Fri-Sat 10a-9p, Sun 10a-3p.

No comments:

Post a Comment