Friday, June 3, 2011

Vegan Avocado Pesto Pasta

This pasta dish is one of my new fave meals to make at home. As I've mentioned in the past, I hate to cook. HATE IT! But, I'm really trying to stay away from processed foods and the evils of spending boatloads of money on take out. Thus, my search for fast, healthy meals that I can make at home on a modest budget (I have a bad habit of spending mucho dinero on food). This pesto literally takes 5 minutes to make. You can't beat that.

Most of these ingredients already lurk in my kitchen, so any time I'm too lazy to run to the store, or I have last minute visitors, I throw this together. It's always a hit! What's great about this meal is that you can serve it over any type of pasta, and it's great hot or cold. Perfect for picnics, summer BBQs, or romantic dinners for two at home.

What you need (serves 6):

1 lb pasta of your choice (I've had it over whole wheat spaghetti, penne, those corkscrew lookin' noodles, etc.)
1 bunch basil leaves (about 2.5ou)
1/2 cup pine nuts
2 ripe avocados, pitted & peeled
2tbsp fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon)
3 cloves garlic
1/2 cup olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste
1/4 cup chopped sun dried tomatoes to throw over the top (the pesto tastes great if you add them directly into the food processor w/everything else, but make sure you then cut back on the olive oil, or it turns out really oily)

Directions:
Cook pasta per package instructions. Once you throw the pasta into boiling water, mix everything else into a food processor and blend. Toss pesto w/hot pasta. If you're feeling fancy, add a basil leaf and the chopped sun dried tomatoes for garnish.

For more delish dishes, check out: http://vegnews.com

No comments:

Post a Comment