Monday, June 27, 2011

Refreshing Vegan Summer Snack/Beverages

I hate summer. Unless I'm submerged in water, I'm grumpy throughout the entire season. I'm probably the only person that actually gains weight for swimsuit season because I refuse to exert myself past walking from my air conditioned car into an air conditioned building. So, when I'm holed up in my home, air conditioner blasting, I do not want to cook. Below are a few easy snack ideas to help keep ya full and cool. 

Homemade popsicles. Channel your inner kid and buy some cheap popsicle molds from Walmart or Target. I like to make my own juice w/my juicer for the molds (I swear, the juicer is the best invention ever! I love my Jack LaLanne!). Voila! Delicious, healthy goodness!

Speaking of my juicer, I also make my own fruit and veggie juice. You would think veggies would taste bad juiced, but you are wrong! Well, celery tastes awful. If you buy a juicer (which I recommend because this is the best way to have a cocktail. Add vodka and you are in heaven!), make sure you add your favorite fruit first and second, then a half of a vegetable (squash, zucchini, and carrots taste great), and alternate until the end. Make sure you also put your fave fruit in last. I swear, the order you put the items in your juicer affects the flavor!!!

Tofutti Cream Cheese and crackers (just watch the label for milk, whey, any form of cheese, and honey). Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and the natural food section of Raley's and some Safeways have some great options.

Fruit Salad. Summer is the perfect time to throw some pineapple, mango, watermelon, grapes, apple, banana, orange slices, kiwi, etc. into a big bowl. It's always a hit at BBQs and brunches also.

Fancy lemonade. I usually buy an all natural lemonade rather than a zillion lemons to try to juice. Simply lemonade is great. I then add a handful of frozen blueberries and/or raspberries. Let it sit a few minutes (but don't forget about it for a coupla hours, cuz then it's disgusting). 

Chips and salsa are a fave of mine. My favorite is Herdez salsa with fresh cilantro and a buncha avocado. Yum!

Iced tea w/pineapple. When I went to visit my family in North Carolina, I became addicted to the tea. They sweeten it with pineapple slices. Word to the wise, don't plan on keeping the pitcher overnight, the pineapple breaks apart and becomes a mess. Serve it at a party, or just add a slice as you go.

Vegan ranch and veggies. I eat this all year round actually. I make my own veggie tray to take to work for lunch. Carrots, broccoli, mushrooms, etc. I have a fantastic recipe for vegan ranch in one of my earliest posts. DO NOT BUY VEGAN RANCH AT THE STORE. It is revolting. I repeat, revolting!

I used to love grabbing an ice cream cone during or after work (in fact, I'm sure I'll break down a few times this summer, as I work next door to a coffee shop that sells phenomenal cones!). Now, I keep either sorbet or ice cream made with coconut milk on hand instead. I'm surprised at how fantastic some vegan ice creams are! It's like a delicacy!

Strawberries dipped in chocolate. This. Is. Amazing. Melt some dark chocolate and either drizzle over the berries, or do what I do and submerge the entire berry up to your knuckles.

Hansens Natural flavored drink mix. 100% Vitamin C. It's the healthy version of Crystal Lite on the go packets. I freeze my bottle of water until it gets a thin coat of ice to break up. I then add a packet, shake and go.



No comments:

Post a Comment