Monday, December 13, 2010

Quick snacks for the lazy...

Easy, quick, & filling vegetarian/vegan snack ideas:

Fiber Bars (I like chocolate chip): Great in the mornings when you're at work & need a chocolate fix. 35% of your daily fiber, antioxidants, etc. Eat slow. They're small & scarfing them down will make you feel cheated. Well, at least I do! fyi: not vegan.

Pistachios: I prefer unsalted & roasted. After all, lotsa sodium is not a healthy persons friend. I also buy them w/the shells. It means I won't eat as many.

Trail Mix: I'm lazy. Chances are, I'm not gonna make my own trail mix. That's why the crap comes pre-packaged! I like Archer Farms Almond Cranberry Blueberry Blend (great price at Target!), & anything from Trader Joe's. Check the label, chocolate chips or M&Ms mean it's not vegan!

Fruit: Duh. We all know it's healthy. Jazz it up at a brunch or for a dessert by dipping it in chocolate (look in the produce section at the store for the chocolate). Kids love it, & it's better than the 3 ice cream sandwiches you let their little fat butts eat after dinner!

Veggies: Another no brainer. Add mushrooms, bell peppers, asparagas, onions, zucchini, & squash to make it zazzier. Bake or BBQ w/sweet & sour sauce, extra virgin olive oil, & balsamic w/some spices & this is crazy good!

Chips & Salsa: My favorite salsa is Herdez. I add a coupla avocados & tons of fresh cilantro. Try flaxseed or blue corn tortilla chips. Yum!! 

Cookies: Whole foods has some good vegan choices. I'm into Lucy's cinnamon cookies right now.

Vegan Breads: Whole Foods has a nice variety of vegan breads. I really like the blueberry loaf. In fact, this makes a great breakfast bread. Also a snazzy idea to take as a hostess gift when you attend a fancy-schmancy brunch.

Crackers/Chips & Hummus: Everyone loves hummus. Well, I don't care for a coupla flavors, but Trader Joe's has a 3-layer hummus that's to-die for. It's always a hit at parties! 

Toast: Bring out your inner child. Look for PB that is made of just peanuts. No sugar! It took me a couple of days to get over the shock of not tasting sugar, but now I can't eat anything but Adams 100% Peanut Butter. It can be expensive, so look for it at Wal-Mart. It's like, half the cost of anywhere else! I love this for breakfast. It's very filling. If you're going vegan on this, check the label on your bread. And while we're on the subject, stop eating that shitty white bread (do not confuse french or sourdough bread w/shitty white bread! These are bread gods. Gods that should be consumed in moderation, but gods nonetheless)! Switch to whole wheat, etc.

Chocolate: I'm not a huge sweets person, but we all crave a little chocolate now & again. Check labels, but most dark chocolate (natural, anyway) are vegan. There are vegan chocolate chips out there, but I think they are disgusting.

Ice Cream: Whole Foods & Trader Joe's have a zillion options. Creamy sorbets made w/coconut milk, Tofutti brand items are good, Soy Delicious is delicious...

Don't confuse sugar free for healthy. Those substitutes are the devil. If you want cancer, eat up. I'll have to dedicate a special post just about the evils of sugar substitutes. 

I'll post more as I come up with them...

Here's a great website for more ideas:
http://www.chooseveg.com/vegan-snack-recipes.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment