Monday, December 13, 2010

Say Cheez: A look into Mac & Cheese

My idea of comfort food is Macaroni & Cheese. Kraft macaroni and cheese to be exact. And I only like it when either my mom or myself make it. On top of that, I have to scarf it down the second it's done because it seems to congeal instantly. I will not warm it up either (shudder). I've made it with rice milk and vegan butter, and it still tastes fantastic.

The only other mac & cheese I adore is from the deli in Whole Foods. One time, I waited 45 minutes for it to come out of the kitchen. The cook felt so bad for my lame ass that he didn't even charge me. That is how pathetic my cheese addiction can be. It may also be a sign that I need to re-evaluate my life, as well as my priorities. But I digress.

Anyways! I have been on a mission to find a vegan substitute for my weakness. So far, I pretty much hate all vegan cheese... Next time I go to the store, I'll write down the names of the absolute worst so you can steer clear. I will also write down the name of the one vegan cheese that I actually like (so far). But, it's a cheddar, and I only like cheddar cheese in quesadillas and burgers (meatless burgers! Don't panic!!). I tried making a vegan grilled cheese with an american-flavored cheese once... The crap tasted so awful that it made me dry heave. Plus, it didn't melt. And I'm a stickler for textures... Overall, it was like warmed up nasty on a slice of bread.

Tonight, I made "A delicious non-dairy cheese pasta dish". I'm quoting directly off of the bag. It's from Namaste Foods, and it's the one w/"Say Cheez" across the front. I found it at Whole Foods while shopping last week. It was not cheap (about $4 for the bag). However! It's gluten free, dairy free, sugar free, and it actually tastes pretty darn good! I was hoping for a mac & cheese substitute, but this doesn't fit that particular bill. It is a nice, rich pasta that actually has a hint of Olive Garden goodness about it. It only takes about 10min to make, which is a huge plus when you don't have a lot of time (or if you hate to cook). Rich food fills me up quick, so I didn't eat a lot (I recommend using a tad less oil than they suggest on the directions). One bag is enough for at least 3 or 4 meals for me. Next time, I'm going to make some bread to go w/it. A nice, crusty sourdough w/vegan butter over the top would complement it nicely. Will I buy it again? Sure, but probably only on sale. 

If I had the time to cook (what I actually mean is that I hate to cook), there are some tasty looking recipes out there. Maybe this blog will give me the motivation to try one of them some time... Don't hold your breath! I've heard good things about a recipe from Alicia Silverstones website: http://www.thekindlife.com/user_recipe/view/10014/115/1 I also have her book The Kind Life. She's one interesting gal! Or you can try a recipe off of another great site: http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=8295.0

If you are just wanting some healthier alternatives to your usual mac & cheese, try Annie's. Everything's natural, and there's oodles of choices such as Alfredo Shells & Cheddar, Classic Mild, etc. Plus, it's a great price.

No comments:

Post a Comment