Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Weekly meal plan

Here is a sample meal plan for a week of being vegan. I tried to keep this first week simple, w/out a lot of cooking & w/out spending a lot on new groceries. I also recycled as many of the ingredients as possible so that you don't have to spend unneccesary moolah! I have posted recipes in the past, & I will post more in the future, so you can definitely substitute any of the below ideas if you don't like to eat leftovers. Please don't think eating vegan is boring just because I kept this simple! A lot of people have been asking me to do meals on a budget, & w/very little cooking... This is catered to that crowd. 

Monday
Breakfast: 3 Sisters maple oatmeal w/your choice of fruit over the top, such as banana slices or blueberries. Don't like oatmeal? Neither do I, but I dig 3 Sisters maple. If you are completely against oatmeal, trade it in for 100% natural peanut butter (the only brand I like is Adams. Buy it at Wal-Mart at a super low cost) on whole wheat toast. Slice the banana over the toast, or make a fruit salad. Yum!

Snack: Trail Mix. Seriously, this is your best friend! Anything from Trader Joe's is good, as well as the Archer brand from Target. Make sure you don't get chocolate chips or M&Ms mixed in there! This is great to fill up on.

Lunch: Salad. Spinach or mixed greens (remember, spinach is super good for you!). I add Craisens, sliced almonds, kidney beans, baked snap peas, sunflower nuts, chopped apple, tomatoes, bell peppers, avocado, fresh cilantro, & either a vinaigrette dressing or vegan ranch. DO NOT BUY VEGAN RANCH! It is absolutely disgusting!!! I have a great vegan ranch recipe that is easy peasy to make & tastes better than Hidden Ranch!

Snack: If you have the above mentioned vegan ranch, dip some carrots & broccoli for a cancer-preventing snack. I usually slice an apple for the above salad, cubing half for the salad, slicing the other half as my mid-afternoon snack.

Dinner: Stirfry. If you are lazy (like me!), you can buy pre-packaged stirfry veggies anywhere. I also love Gardein brand Mandarin-Orange chicken. Cook longer than the directions recommend so that it comes out nice & crispy. If you are super lazy, Trader Joe's has the best fried rice I've ever tasted. And it's vegan! I usually keep brown rice in my cupboard, as I eat stirfry at least 1x/wk. Check out egg rolls & spring rolls at whatever store you are shopping at. Read the ingredients on the veggie rolls, some are actually vegan.

Dessert: Fruit smoothie that would put Jamba Juice to shame! I have a smoothie machine, but I'm sure a blender works just as well (I never add ice, as it waters it down). I buy fruit sorbet from Whole Foods (the ones made w/coconut milk are delicious & very creamy). The more sorbet you add, the thicker the smoothie. I also buy 100% fruit juice from Whole Foods. Add a dollop of soy yogurt, a half a banana, & voila! 

Tuesday
Breakfast: Amy's brand non-dairy burrito. I know it's a typical lunch burrito, but I love one of these on a cold morning!

Snack: Unsalted, roasted pistachios. Eat as many as you want, they're good for you!

Lunch: Sandwich. Whole wheat bread, vegenaisse, spicy brown mustard, lotsa lettuce or spinach leaves, avocado, pickles, tomatoes, sliced bell peppers (orange & yellow are best!), & your favorite sprouts. This is very filling, & oh-so-good! Grab some flaxseed tortilla chips & you're set!

Snack: Well, since you already have the flaxseed tortilla chips, enjoy some yummy salsa w/it for a snack! My fave is Herzez w/fresh cilantro & avocados mixed in.

Dinner: Either portabello burgers or vegan burgers made w/lots of beans & corn, etc. Toast a whole wheat bun, add some lettuce, tomato, avocado, vegenaisse, spicy brown mustard, & dip in the above mentioned vegan ranch. Add some sweet potato fries for a delicious alternative to the regular fries.

Dessert: Lucy's brand cookies. I like the cinnamon ones! 

Wednesday
Breakfast: Hey, you've made it this far, why not treat yourself to Starbucks? See my earlier Vegan Starbucks post for a few ideas!

Snack: The above mentioned peanut butter on toast

Lunch: Taco salad (see recipe in earlier post). This can definitely be made in advance if you are going to be at work!

Snack: Chow down on either leftover fruit, carrots & broccoli, trail mix, or salsa.

Dinner: Whole wheat spaghetti. If you don't feel like making your own sauce from scratch, choose a jar of your favorite brand (make sure there's no dairy or meat!). Add some mushrooms, zucchini, squash, etc. w/your choice of spices. There are some vegan Parmesan cheeses out there that are pretty darn good! Enjoy some crusty bread w/vegan butter (Earth Balance is fantastic "butter"! It's also great to cook with). Having friends over? Add a mixed green salad w/your favorite toppings.

Dessert: There are some fantastic vegan ice creams out there. Either have a bowl of the sorbet you used for your smoothie, or try some Toffuti ice cream sandwiches or fudge bars. 

Thursday
Breakfast: Oatmeal or toast & fruit or make a smoothie to start your day out right!

Snack: Pistachios &/or trail mix

Lunch: If you aren't in the mood for leftovers, go for Amy's brand. Anything vegan. It's easy to take to work, & delicious!

Snack: Lucy's brand cookies

Dinner: Potato & corn chowder (see my recipe in an earlier post). This is cheap, easy, & great for these cold evenings!

Dessert: Use your remaining fruit & soy yogurt to make a fruit parfait. Add some granola for crunch. Bear Naked makes some great ones! However, honey is NOT vegan, so take that into consideration... (I wouldn't be opposed to sticking a cookie in that there parfait for "garnish"!)

Friday is my lazy day. Therefore, I often use it to finish off my leftovers.
Breakfast: Your choice of any of the above breakfasts you've enjoyed. I like to sleep as late as possible on Fridays before work, so I usually have peanut butter toast or a banana, as I can eat either one while driving.

Lunch: Leftover spaghetti, chowder, or stirfry. Don't like leftovers? Make another salad. I try to eat salads at least 3 or 4 lunches out of the week. Very very healthy!!

Snack: Again, I will recycle whatevers left... Chips & salsa, cookies, trail mix, etc. 

Dinner: Hey, I'm probably going out. So if I eat at home, I don't want to cook. I'll either eat leftovers or make something quick & filling like a baked potato & steamed broccoli & corn.

Dessert: I rarely stick around for dessert at home on a Friday night, but if I do decide to stay in & veg in front of the TV, it's usually w/a fruit smoothie.

1 comment:

  1. I love the parfait idea!! Creativity is something I definitely need to work on. I get bored with the same ol menu each week. Great post!!

    ReplyDelete