Sunday, December 19, 2010

Vegan Corn and Potato Chowder

I got this recipe from from 1,000 Vegan Recipes by Robin Robertson. I just love making this on a Sunday afternoon. Not only do I get to enjoy a nice warm soup on a chilly evening, but I have at least 4 more meals for the week. I never get tired of this recipe. It's the best chowder I've ever tasted, and it's a cheap meal to make.

1tbsp olive oil
1med onion, chopped
1 celery rib, chopped
3med Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled & diced (I've also used regular 'ol Russet Potatoes)
4cups vegetable broth or water (I've only used veggie broth, so don't blame me if it tastes crappy w/only water!)
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
3cups fresh, frozen, or canned corn kernels
1cup plain unsweetened soy milk
1tbsp minced green onions or chives for garnish

  1. In large soup pot, heat the oil over med heat. Add oinion & celery. Cover & cook until veggies are softened, about 10min
  2. Add potatoes, broth, & salt & pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low & simmer uncovered until potatoes begin to soften, about 30min
  3. Add corn & simmer 15min longer. Puree half the soup in the pot w/an immersion blender, blender, or food processor (I use my food processor) & return to pot. Stir in the soy milk & taste, adjusting seasonings if necessary.
  4. Ladle the soup into bowls, garnish w/green onions & serve.
Serves 4-6

No comments:

Post a Comment